I am fascinated with any stories taking place around the Holocaust. Horrible, dark times that I somehow find inspiring if for nothing else than the small bits of hope that people held on to and the way it magnified life. One of my favorite movies of all time is La Vita e Bella! Schindler's List, De Tweeling, and Defiance are also amazing stories that take place during that time. The book Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (a psychiatrist and Holocause survivor) is a psychological perspective of what people went through. I've loved Anne Frank since I was quite young... I just have this fascination with people and their stories. I revere their strength and spirit.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer is someone who has always intrigued me. He was a German pastor during WWII who was in opposition to the Nazis. He got himself banned from radio waves, helped Jews escape Germany, wrote lots of awesome books within the theme of living as a Christian. Dietrich had been a pacificst, until he started to ask if it was worse to do evil or be evil (in this case kill Hitler, or allow him to continue to kill countless other people).
Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.I love this! Not making a decision is ultimately making a decision. He decided that sitting idle while Hitler destroyed lives was wrong. He became part of a plot to assassinate Hitler. The plot obviously failed. Dietrich was imprisoned (Letters from Prison... 'nother great book!) and ultimately was hung to death at a concentration camp. Exactly 3 weeks later Hitler committed suicide.
Such an amazing life living out what God willed. I admire Dietrich Bonhoeffer!
15 Day Challenge

I love Viktor Frankl (I have one of his quotes on my FB page; it's been my favorite since I first read it freshman year in my writing class).
ReplyDeleteAlso, funny story, I got Schindler's List on DVD from Netflix and one side was the first part of the movie whereas the other side was the second. I put side 1 down and watched it, and was super confused, watched the whole part, went to switch to side 2, and then the beginning of the movie started. Whoops!