Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 6: If you could have any job in the entire world, what would it be and why?

My dream job is to be a stay-at-home-mom... which I am!  To be a wife and mommy has been the one solid consistent goal I've had for my life since I could hold a doll.  I didn't get jealous when my parents brought my brother home from the hospital.  I fought with my dad over who got to hold him next!  I have always wanted to be a mommy.  And I can't imagine missing any of these precious moments at home during the day while I'm off working somewhere else.

Kyle and I had a phone conversation while we were dating about what job I wanted in the future.  Being friends for so long, he knew I planned on getting a master's in counseling after I finished my undergrad.  He respected that, but wanted to know what I'd do when I was married and had kids.  He wanted a wife who would spend the day loving, disciplining, and teaching his kids.  I find this no more sexist than my desire to find a husband who would take on the responsibility of providing for a family while I stay home.  It was one of those "deal breaker" conversations.  Fortunately, our hopes lined up.  Done deal, when can we get married?

Had I been unable to have kids, first of all I would have been completely devastated; I admire the strength of those who have gone through fertility issues.  Second, I would have gotten a job outside the home.  My ideal would have been working as an elementary school counselor where I could do art and play therapy.  Either that or a teaching kids 2nd grade or lower.  I taught preschool and kindergarten at Conrad Christian School for a year and absolutely enjoyed it!  When all our kids are say high school age and older (we're hoping to home school in junior high) I may consider going back to get a master's so I can do something when we have an empty nest.

15 Day Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I think being a Stay at Home mom sounds GLORIOUS! I'm envious...babies are fuN!

    ReplyDelete