Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 14- What did you want to be when you grew up and what are you now?

I always wanted to be a mom and I am a mom.  But there have been a couple other things I've aspired to be along the way.  For instance, during the the 1992 Winter Olympics I wanted to be Kristi Yamaguchi.  That one didn't pan out of me.  Bummer.



I also said I wanted to be an artist when I was preschool age (I majored in art, so that one kind of worked out I guess).  I started drawing layouts of houses when I was in second grade.  Houses built into mountain sides, houses under waterfalls, castles, and my dream home (which was not nearly as exotic as the previous examples, but still quite creative).  My dad told me that some people draw and design houses for a job and that they were called architects.  So I wanted to be an architect for about 7 years.

After a near death experience on my 15th birthday I started considering the future more realistically.  I really don't want that to sound like I lost all childlike whimsy or became hardened.  Almost the reverse happened actually.  Anyway, when the rubber hit the road I hated math.  And that's all anyone could talk about when they heard that I wanted to be an architect.  I just wasn't that passionate about the idea to push through something I detested so much (for all you math geeks out there, let it be known that I didn't have a decent math teacher after elementary school until my senior year of college).  What I was passionate about was people.  I had been through a lot with my health and that bled into all other parts of my life.  It hurt the most emotionally.  I wanted to help others who hurt like that.  My health problems had also made me a quiet observer.  People's interactions intrigued me and as arrogant as this sounds, I felt like I had a bigger picture view that could be used to help.  That's when I decided I wanted to be some sort of counselor.

I'm not pursuing this, because it would be unfair to my family or any clients I would have.  I'm wrapped up in being a mommy and I want to put all I can into that role.  Maybe someday I'll be able to dedicate more of my energies to a career in counseling.  In the meantime, I'm happy. :-)

15 Day Challenge- I encourage you to do it! I'd love to read your answers! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment