Monday, April 4, 2011

A Weekend to Look Forward To

My mom and brother are coming up to visit us this weekend.  And I am soo very excited!  Some of my excitement is for selfish reasons... extra hands to take care of babies! :-)  I absolutely love both my kids, but obviously it does take some coordination and work to take care of two little ones at once.  It gets to the point where I feel guilty having someone else watch them, because I know how tiring it can be.  Consequently I don't ask for help and also probably rob someone of the joy they get taking care of Ander and Solveig.  We welcome you Gramma Kiwi and Uncle Chisum! :-)


Ander has been getting into all kinds of mischief the last couple days.  Yesterday morning Solveig woke us in the morning with her crying.  When I went into their room I found Ander sleeping through all the fuss... oh and he was NAKED!  Little stinker had taken his diaper off in the night and left it on his pillow.  Meanwhile had decided to zonk out at the foot of his bed with his little bare bottom up in the air.  Too precious!  (Though we did have to wash his sheets, glow worm, stuffed sheep, and blanky...).  

Ander also has this thing with putting objects on his head or trying to wear them as scarves (clean diapers, combs, toys, belts, etc.)  Well, yesterday afternoon he figured out how to un-childproof the childproof blinds in the dining room.  He tried to wear the cord as a scarf (a couple times) and ended up with it wrapped around his neck twice.  Daddy was right there to rescue him, so Ander wasn't in real danger.  But this is definitely why mommy usually puts the cord on top of the china hutch.

This evening Kyle was washing dishes and I was making dinner.  Solveig was jabbering up a storm from her seat in the living room, while Ander was playing quietly in his room.  When dinner was ready I opened his door expecting to find him playing with the springy thing behind the door.  But the first thing I saw was the tube of Desetin in front of the door.  This caused me to look up and find my toddler sitting on top of the changing table!  He climbed all by himself up there!  He had been wearing black wind pants, but they were now a shade of gray after having been dosed with some baby powder.  My first reaction was a gasp and then, "KYLE!"  Ander must have thought he was in for some big trouble, because he broke into tears!  I couldn't be mad, because I was laughing so hard.  This is just a taste of the last few days... he is such a busy boy!  He also has had tongue awareness and is walking around lapping it in and out of his mouth like a little lizard.  Bad habits that we shouldn't encourage?  Perhaps, but still really funny!


We are going to have an early Seder dinner on Saturday.  This is something I got hooked on while I was in college, and is a beautiful addition to the celebrations during Holy Week.  After all, Jesus celebrated it and it was the last supper.  Kyle and I plan on making it a family tradition.  A friend from high school is a sheep farmer and we're hoping we can buy a lamb from him each year around this time and initially use it for Passover and then the rest of the parts through out the year.  Yum!  Matzo ball soup, roast leg of lamb, charoset, kosher wine.. so good!  There are some great Christian adaptations of the traditional Jewish ceremony if you will. Like I said, it's very beautiful!

In addition to this traditional Jewish meal, we will be making rosettes!  At least, I hope to make them.  They are definitely one of our favorite Norwegian cookies and we didn't get to enjoy any at the lutefisk dinner this year!  Kyle thinks they should be turned upside-down and filled with chocolate in the empty space.  Hmm...



No comments:

Post a Comment