Sunday, February 13, 2011

Solveig Dahlia's Birth

Ander is napping and Solveig is presumably happy in her swing next to daddy who is playing video games.  So I am sneaking away to blog! :-)

All those who read this already know about Solveig, yet for my own interest in journaling I thought I'd share a few of the details about our baby girl's birth and life thus far.

My pregnancy with her was more difficult than Ander's.  For someone who rarely has mood swings I was a monster, I was sick a lot more, etc.  I started throwing up from heartburn long before the end of the pregnancy. On November 8th during a routine NST (non-stress test) our wonderful doctor up here in Havre was concerned enough with my blood pressure, headaches, and other symptoms of pre-eclampsia that she decided to have me hospitalized.  (We were 34 weeks along at this point).  I started having some contractions so they sent us down to Great Falls where my OB specialist is.  We absolutely LOVE this doctor, so perhaps I just felt safe and at ease.  My contractions eased off and he told me to stay on bed rest and go home.  Bed rest is near impossible with a 11 month old moving around, so we decided to have Ander and I stay in Conrad with family and friends who could look after both of us, while Kyle continued to work back in Havre.

I am soo thankful for all those who helped us!    During days Ander rotated through the homes of my in-laws, his godparents, and another friend so that no one was sacrificing all their time.  I stayed with my mom and brother and of course Ander was there in the evenings when my mom wasn't working.  Now, this next part was really hard on me at the time, but ended up being an absolute blessing from God!

November 15th my mom came down with some kind of nasty bug!  Not only did I not want Ander to catch it, I knew it would be horrible for me to catch it.  Here I was 5 weeks from our due date knowing that if Solveig was going to be early she was going to have NICU time.  And I'm pretty sure I would not be wanted in the NICU if I were sick!  I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place.  I needed Kyle to come help care for us, yet I didn't want him to use his comp. time from work!  My mom unfortunately was taking my panic to get out of her "plague-ridden" house as a slap in the face.  I didn't want to hurt my mom either!  I ended up calling Kyle in tears asking hims what he thought we should do and it was decided that he would come immediately and we'd move to his parents' house to avoid getting sick.

The next day (November 16th) we headed down to Great Falls for another NST with Ander in toe.  Kyle's mom and sister were on their way back from dialysis in Great Falls and offered to take Ander so we wouldn't have to worry about him at the appointment.  And during the appointment I got really sick, my blood pressure was not good, so on and so forth... so they sent us over to Benefis East to have our baby girl by emergency c-section!  Had my mom not gotten sick, Kyle would not have been there for the birth!  We would have also been stuck with a busy, teething toddler if Kyle's mom didn't offer to take him that day... talk about a mess!  But because my mom's bug put all these things in motion- Kyle was able to be there when his daughter was born!  Praise God!  My mom was much more understanding after I drew this to her attention. ;-)

Other cool little stories Solveig will grow up with:

Both she and Ander were born during the first snow/blizzard of the winter they were born.

Right before they took me to the delivery room, the hospital's fire alarm went off.  I could smell something burnt.  They wheeled my bed through hallways with strobing lights and alarms going off to the delivery room.  Extra nurses were needed to hold the doors open that closed during the alarm.  All was well though... perhaps a burnt bag of popcorn? :-)

They took her to the NICU after birth, both because she was early (though I wonder if her due date was off) and because I'm a diabetic.  She was doing well enough that they were going to release her to room in with me after about a day.  However, she pulled her IV out which is very dangerous with D10 (dextrose), because it can cause muscle death.  Thankfully no damage was done, but she had to stay in the NICU... which was *very* disappointing.  She later developed jaundice (which can cause mental retardation) so they were able to monitor her condition closely with that without having to readmit her.  Again, God using our disappointments to keep us safe!


Solveig Dahlia (pronounced Sole-vay)
b. November 16, 2010 at 4:59pm
7lbs. 5oz. and 20" long

No comments:

Post a Comment