Saturday, July 10, 2010

Despicable Me... on and off screen

Nothing of great consequence to say tonight.  I'm happy to announce that I am feeling much more like myself than I was last week!  My darn pregnancy hormones decided to wig out and I turned into a monster!  I was weepy, grumpy, easily annoyed, and had difficulty solving simple problems that normally wouldn't phase me.  To top it off, I knew I was behaving beastly!  Nothing much as frustrating and painful than feeling like a passenger in your own body and not being able to whip yourself into shape (especially without bursting into tears).  Poor Kyle!  We had company the 4th and 5th of July which probably was the worst of my mood.  I'm such an introvert anyway and having other people around just highlighted that I wasn't acting like myself which made me even more emotional.  My mom watched after Ander and I retreated to our room so I could sleep.  I think that helped immensely.

Kyle and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary on the 7th.  We had a simple lunch, went to a baby appointment ("the indoor one, not the outdoor one", as my mom says), and then we went to The Last Airbender.  Yes, nerdy... I know.  Just wait, it gets nerdier!  We have watched the 1st season of the animated series Avatar... you can see why they didn't call the movie by the same title.  It took some coaxing to get me to watch it, but I actually ended up enjoying it!  The problem with seeing movies that have been made out of television series is pretty similar to movies made out of books.  It's never quite as good.  They have time constraints thus the characters and the story lose some of their depth.  Despite this, it was still a pretty decent flick.  My biggest complaints are that the beginning feels too rushed and that the guy who played Uncle Iroh totally doesn't match the persona of the cartoon character.

My brother Chisum then decided he wanted to take us to Despicable Me yesterday as kind of an early birthday fling for me.  I was a little nervous going into the theater, because we took Ander with us.  He jabbered a little bit at the beginning, fussed very briefly at which point I got want around the corner to rock him where I could still see.  He then slept through the rest of it... phew!  Very cute movie!  They really nailed how pitiful some parents' attempts at disciplining their children with guilt really is.  It doesn't work if you have a strong willed kid!  When you bait, you're the chump.  It was opening day so the theater had lots of kids, which I love!  It's so much fun to hear what parts really make them giggle.  The minions beating on each other never seemed to get old and the plethora of butt jokes always got a laugh.  Oh dear.  Anyway, it was heartwarming and funny.

 I best be off to bed.  Ander and Kyle are both asleep and it's storming outside.  I'm sure Nikolai isn't happy having to settle for his doghouse.  Oh well!

1 comment:

  1. Awe! I like Steve Corell and want to see his character in Despicable Me! Glad to hear a good review. :-)

    ReplyDelete